Keeping Track of your INSTRUCTIONAL AND assignable time - mediator's recommendations
Keeping Track of Your Instructional and Assignable Time
The Mediator’s Recommended Terms of Settlement Has Increased the Cap on Teachers’ Instructional Time
The mediator’s recommended terms of settlement, ratified on June 10, 2022, has changed the maximum time that teachers can be assigned to the instruction of their students to 916 hours per year. Prior to the ratification, 15.3 per cent of teachers had noinstructional time protection, while the remaining 84.7 per cent were capped at 907 hours or less of instruction per year.
While the majority of teachers are now subject to an increase in instructional assignment, many have not seen a variance in their schedules. However, substitute teacher shortages provincewide have led to an increase in demand for internal coverage of teacher absences. If a teacher covers a colleague’s class, then that teacher has provided instructional service and that time must be recorded toward the 916-hour maximum. Teachers must understand their instructional and assignable time allocations, and track any additional assignments to ensure that the cap has not been exceeded.
Which teachers are subject to the instructional time limits?
Any teacher whose primary function is to provide instruction to students is subject to the applicable teacher instructional and assignable time limits. This includes lead teachers and teachers in receipt of an allowance but who do not have administrative designations. This also includes teachers who are supervising the instruction of another certificated teacher or nonteacher, for example, preservice teacher or instructor of students in the Registered Apprentice Program.
*A daily half-hour duty-free break is not assignable and cannot occur at the beginning or end of the day.
The mediator’s recommended terms of settlement changed the instructional time cap to 916 hours per year, so tracking instructional time is important especially if teachers are required to cover teaching assignments of absent colleagues. Teachers should calculate their own assignable and instructional hours by using the two calculators here. #WEAREATA
Comments are closed.
Updates from ATA Provincial